Who We Are:
Aqua Foundation for Women is led by a group of committed women who reside in South Florida. The Board of Directors is comprised of women who, on a 100% volunteer basis, donate their time and expertise to grow and nurture the Aqua Foundation for Women.
What We Do:
The mission of the Aqua Foundation for Women is to serve as the funding catalyst for lesbian, bisexual, and transgender wellness and equality in South Florida through grants, scholarships and initiatives.
- Grants: Our annual grant program awards organizations in a variety of areas including wellness, youth empowerment, therapeutic counseling, cultural enrichment, equality and more.
- Scholarships: We provide scholarships to benefit high school, college or graduate students who are active in South Florida's LBT community. A key role of this program is to build tomorrow's leaders today.
- Mentor: Each scholarship recipient is paired with a mentor whose expertise is typically in the same field as the recipient's field of study. The mentor's objective is to lend support to the recipient with her education and community goals.
- Initiatives: AFW has targeted the unique health needs of LBT women by providing funding to Pride Center to create an online directory of healthcare professionals who have passed a vetting process to determine that they treat LBT women with the respect they deserve. This initiative will encourage LBT women to seek medical attention with greater frequency and comfort and, ultimately, save lives.
- Identifying our Community Needs: We create an open dialogue with our community through conferences, surveys and outreach to local community leaders and the many women who make up our LBT population in South Florida.
- Fostering Philanthropy and Building: Community Encouraging volunteerism and the act of giving is accomplished through ongoing events,membership and leading by example.
- Building Strategic Alliances and Collaboration: Integrating with mainstream organizations and collaborating with GLBTQ organizations to build community and relationships to promote wellness and equality.
Aqua Foundation for Women was created in 2004. Alicia Apfel, a community leader, put together a group of other Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender leaders in the community to start a foundation run by women and for women. We began giving out grants to LGBT organizations for projects that benefit LBT women in South Florida. In 2007 we added a scholarship program and a mentor program.